December 1st, 2017
The most extensive English wine list of any fish and chip shop in Britain has been launched by Olley's Fish Experience of Herne Hill, South East London.
Drawn from five counties, Kent, Hampshire, Sussex, Surrey and Dorset, the nine-strong wine list has been chosen by proprietor Harry Niazi to pair with nine of his legendary fish suppers.
Says Harry Niazi, Owner of Olley’s Fish Experience, "We re-worked our beer list last year to bring in five British gluten-free beers, to pair with our gluten-free fish batter. I then tasted Winbirri Bacchus from Norfolk and Jenkyn Place sparkling wine from Hampshire, and thought now that our British beer list is flying, why not give a big bold hug to England’s burgeoning wine scene as well? English wines seem to have an amazing floral acidity to them, like a squeeze of exotic lemon with our fish! And they add a new element to the toasty butteriness of our batters."
“I also decided that we should not just do white with fish, but do the unspeakable by pairing a red wine (Bolney Pinot Noir) with gluten free battered Hake and a stunning white Pinot Noir (made from red grapes) with battered salmon.”
The full wine list:
- Ridgeview Fitzrovia Sparkling Rosé n/v (Sussex)
- Chapel Down Brut N/V (Kent)
- Jenkyn Place Blanc de Noirs 2010 (Hampshire)
- Bolney Pinot Noir 2016 (Sussex)
- Lyme Bay Shoreline - Bacchus, Pinot Noir, Reichensteiner, Seyval Blanc 2015 (Dorset)
- Chapel Down Bacchus 2016 (Kent)
- Litmus Bacchus/Chardonnay Element 2013 (Surrey)
- Jenkyn Place Brut 2013 (Hampshire)
- Litmus White Pinot Noir 2015 (Surrey)